Sunday, May 15, 2011

Ah Spring...

After a long, slow, wet spring, things are finally, FINALLY starting to happen in the garden.  My vegie patch is underway with lettuce, rocket (lots and lots), radishes (I got some fancypants "gourmet" blend - we'll see what happens in a week or two), peas, cabbage, and broccoli. I also have a lovely patch of  rhubarb that should be ready any old day now.

Got my asparagus planted, after losing track of the little box full of corms I received in the mail for several weeks.  Strangely enough, they were right where I'd left them.  Imagine that!

I had daffodils that held their bloom for about six weeks, which was a surprise and a delight Thank you Cool Wet Spring. And I have the best crop of dandelions ever ;)

The crabapple I planted in the front yard was at its best this week.



Crabapples are very popular around here, but most people plant the double bloom  pink varieties. They get so overladen with blossom that you can't see the tree for the bloom. My preference is for something simpler, because I like to be able to see the structure of the tree - probably because this is the first tree I've ever pruned from the beginning. I like to see how my handiwork is holding up.  She's been in the ground for about four years, which I think makes her a seven year tree all up.  The variety is Snowdrift; lovely apple blossom scent, but not obnoxious.  And the single white blossoms are just lovely.
 

This is a spiraea I planted last year.  You see them a lot in public landscaping around here, so I made sure to plant things around it that you don't find in public landscapes (like chives and sage).  I don't want my garden to end up looking like a carpark.  I planted it last year, and as I recall the leaves were lovely oranges, yellows and reds before they dropped in the fall.  For those of you who are interested (Kris!) the botanical name is Spiraea x burnalda 'Goldflame'.  Can't remember the name of the blue one next to it, and I apparently didn't save the tag because it isn't in my garden book.


My Rosemary That Will Not Die has gone bonkers, which is making the bees very happy, which in turn makes me very happy.


And, finally, another plant I got last year that is blooming for the first time, my Tiarella 'Sugar and Spice'.  It's a shade plant, and the leaves turned burgundy in the fall.  I thought it would die right back over the winter, but it didn't, so I had a little bit of colour in my shade garden.


It's by the back door, too, so I get to see it often.  It has the most delightful wee flowers on the spikes it sends up.


I bought some plants on Saturday for the part of the front yard that I am turning into a desert (ie native) landscape.  I bought them from a woman who raises all the plants herself from seed, and a lot of them are Idaho natives.  Even better, she has a demonstration garden so you can see what they look like.  I'm pretty excited about getting them planted, but first I have to dig up some lawn and move some rocks.  I was planning on getting started with that today, but it's bloody raining, isn't it?  And has been ALL day. Sheesh!  And it's gotten cold again. I ended up doing housework....

Oh well, there's always tomorrow.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment