Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Snow Day

It may seem a little odd, but while you're snoozing your way through the end of the first day of the Australian summer, I have been outside taking pictures of the snow we had last night. It isn't officially winter yet (Decenber 21st is the day, I think), but you can't tell the weather that.

 If I were Canadian or Russian, I would probably dismiss the seven inches (around 15 centimetres, I think) as not much, but we don't actually get a lot of snow in our valley.  Needless to say, the roads this morning are a snowy, slippery mess, so the university isn't opening until 11am.... wish I'd known that BEFORE I got out of bed. They have an automated phone system that dials everyone to let them know when there's an emergency or weather event, but I had to get out of bed to answer the phone, didn't I?


Daniel's on his way to work as I write this.  Fortunately we got some studded tyres for the Mazda over the weekend, so he should make it okay.  As you can see, the car had to be cleaned before he got underway, and the footpaths had to be shovelled off.


This is the yard next door to us.


And this is our street.

I wouldn't mind betting that more than a few people will be taking the day off work today so they can go skiing at Bogus Basin, which is the nearest ski slope to us.  This is perfect weather for snow bunnies.

It's supposed to rain later today as the weather warms up (to slightly above freezing), which will turn everything into a big slushy mess.  Can't say I mind that much - I LIKE snow.


1 comment:

  1. Oh it all looks so pretty! Can you parcel some up for me :p
    I must say, we are having a lovely start to summer - mid 20's for the first week - perfect!!

    ReplyDelete